Thursday, October 17, 2013

Spur-of-the-moment Applesauce!


While looking through my fridge this morning I found a bag of pears that we had forgotten about.  They weren't bad, but they weren't pretty anymore - you know the type.  Basically, my kids were going to look at them and refuse to eat them as they were.  So, I thought I'd just cut them up and make a sauce of some sort out of them.  Well, my mother-in-law happened to be at our house that day and she offered to cut them up for me.  As she was cutting them up, I thought about the apples that were in the fridge and asked if she would mind doing some of those as well.  I got more and more excited about this, knowing that she had made applesauce before, and I decided to get a whole bag of apples out.  I used my apple peeler/corer/slicer and we ended up with a pot full of cut apples and pears.  :)



We added just about an inch of water to the pot and cooked them down for about 30 minutes.  When it was done, I put the apples into the VitaMix and blended them up.



Voila!  Easy peasy applesauce!  I am totally inspired to dive into this a little further!  I can't wait to go get some apples (in quantity!)!  What's funny is that I don't even like applesauce.  But my kids do, and I love knowing exactly what's going into it (as well as what's not!).  They loved it with some cinnamon sprinkled on top.   We use the Vietnamese Cinnamon from Frontier and love it - it's a great quality cinnamon!









0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me


I am a homeschooling mom of 4 amazing children, each unique in their abilities, needs and personalities. I started this blog through my burning desire for my family to "live simply for God." For me this has two-fold meaning: to live simply; and to live for God.

Join me on our journey to simplifying our life. And a journey it is! :)

Follow us!

Categories

Google Friends